Monday, August 18, 2014

Have you ever seen a Joshua Tree?

My favorite deaf woman (she isn't a member) and she is CRAZY!!!

I can’t believe I've already been here for 4 months. It’s crazy to think it’s already transfer time again. We find out this weekend and I’m quite nervous. I have no idea what will happen. All I know is that I will miss the deaf people more than anything. I love signing.
It’s so nice being able to communicate with my companion in the middle of anything without even opening my mouth or anyone understanding lol. Signing is the best. I was telling Sis.Treadwell something during a class  at the church and this man goes “She is talking behind my back in front of my face!” hahahaha. So true. Love it.

I hate to tell you all this, but, I went into a food coma Friday night. Trizzy and I had a pretty big sized lunch, then we went to a member’s home and they made Thanksgiving for us. I literally didn't eat that much, I didn’t even eat dessert! But before we left she offered a soda and after much contemplation I decided to drink the Dr. Pepper. It was all downhill from there. By the time we got back to the apartment I was BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS. I don’t think I've ever been so hyper in my whole life (which I’m sure is a little scary for most of you to imagine since you've seen me at hyper moments lol). Once we started planning our next day out a little later I literally passed out in the middle of my desk, clothes on, light on, while talking about plans. I felt so sick. It was crazy. Woke up the next morning better than ever!!! Lol.
Joshua Trees. The desert is known for them


I just need you all to know that this week we were trying to bake cookies for people and our oven wasn’t working so what did we do? We fried the cookies in a frying pan. Did they look like cookies? Absolutely not. Did they still taste good. Eeh. I guesss you can say they did. But, did it make us feel pretty inventive? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT DID!

I don’t know why I am just now telling yall about this, but I am in a letter war with an elder serving in Tennessee lol. So he sent me a letter on this HUGE piece of paper, told me top that, so I wrote a 5 page letter cut it all up (separately so it made it harder) in a puzzle, put it in the envelope and sent it.I’m sure it drove him nuts :) Well, the most recent one I got from him was brilliant. Homeboy wrote the WHOLE thing backwards hahaha. It took forever to read because I wasn’t smart enough to put it up to a mirror. Oh, the things that keep a missionary entertained and living an exciting life!!!
I have been working on letting the spirit guide my prayers this week and had a neat experience with it. 
As I was praying I thought of how I want to be better and the scripture Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
I then said these words in my prayer "please help me see my weaknesses, but not my flaws." then I sat back and realized I couldn't come up with something profound like that and that the spirit was indeed guiding my prayer. Then I thought about what I said. As women, that’s what we do. At times we start seeing everything (even worldly things that are just flaws we can't change) as weaknesses and get down on ourselves. Yes, being more patient is good to realize you need to change, the scar you have on your face from blemishes is NOT the same. I knew then I needed to stop being so hard on myself and focus on the things, that through Christ, I am mentally/spiritually able to change. I love my savior.

 When I got on to check my emails today I had one from one of the Young Women (youth) here. She sent me this:
Just wanted to let you know that you are awesome! You & Trizzay are so cool & fun but at the same time you know how to keep the spirit. So all in all you guys are FUN MISSIONARIES. Haha
But yeah, I haven't known you guys for very long at all but I have learned some things from you guys, believe it or not.
So thank you, and know that bear valley Ward loves you guys more than you realize because I hear it and I see it!
Keep being awesome & I hope you have a good week! (: 

That message completely warmed my heart and made me feel so good. I have always had a strong love for teenagers, especially on my mission. I remember when I was in high school how much the missionaries impacted me and how much better I was when I was close with them. Once I got to Hesperia I decided I wanted to try and be THAT kind of missionary for the youth here. So getting that email helped me see I have done more here than I thought. Even if Sister Treadwell and I only helped HER, it would make it worth it.

We had 3 investigators at church Sunday which was a blessing. We have been knockin’ doors like It’s goin’ out of style this week.
When it comes to church I think it’s as simple as this…The more you come, the more you want to come, then the harder it GETS to come. Doesn’t make much sense in a way, but at the same time it makes perfect sense. The more we live our life in a way that is pleasing unto Heavenly Father, they happier we are and the more we want to keep living life that way. BUT. At the same time when we are doing these super righteous things, the more Satan works on us and gets in our way creating all sorts of stumbling blocks. We just have to learn to recognize those hard times as Satan doing his job quite well and not let him win. Living our lives in harmony with the Saviors life always makes for a happy, peaceful life. We just complicate it by letting Satan take over. Lets all try a little harder this week to do what the Savior would do no matter how hard it gets. Deal? :)

BEST NEWS OF THIS UPCOMING WEEK: Jim is getting baptized!!! It will be quite the spiritual day. It will start with getting to meet/hear from the apostle and end with a great baptism! Pray that things go smoothly please, it’s a different kind of baptism because of the medical circumstances.

Something that dawned on me about baptism this week: When we think of baptism and partaking of the sacrament each week it’s in more of a selfish “natural man” thought of: we want to be forgiven of our sins instead of having the attitude of Christ where He did it because it was what His Father wanted Him to do and He wanted to show His obedience. I don’t think we understand how important those two things are in our life. They are so crucial and special.

I love this work. I love being on the Lords errand.
-hugs-
Sister Toolan

The sweet potato growing....strange life I live:)



No comments:

Post a Comment