Monday, March 3, 2014

It's Raining in Cali....baby!

DOWNPOUR
+ 20 missionaries
+ doughnuts
+ a member with a HUGE house needing help moving out
= a darn good time!!! :)
It's raining, it's pouring, missionaries are FAR FROM snoring!

As “sister” missionaries we have to be a little more on the safe side of things. For instance, we can’t knock doors or visit people who we don’t already know after dark. So the other night we were waiting on our Missionary Leader to get to a home we were going to visit and we were a little early so we knew we’d be waiting a bit. My companion and I decided that considering there was still some day light out that we’d go knock some doors. We were scared. As always. But we did it. And the first house we knocked we met a man who seemed pretty interested, asked for a pamphlet and told us to come back on Saturday. (Which NEVER happens)Obviously we came back Saturday and to our surprise ended up teaching his WIFE and finding out they have 2 older daughters and they are catholic but don’t really know what it is they believe. She gave us all her contact information and said we could come back again soon! It was so amazing to us how the Lord provides when we don’t slack off any and work Work WORK!
Double rainbow

This week I had another one of my “firsts on a mission” experiences. For the 1st time ever I, Sister Toolan, invited a man we are teaching to be baptized, and guess what?!? He said YES! We even set a date! I was so nervous, but we knew he was ready to make the commitment. 
It’s funny because a lot of people we teach will say “I’ve already been baptized before, I don’t need to again.” But see, that’s what makes our church different from all the rest…

Mormon.org explains is very simply: “Jesus Christ taught that we must be baptized by immersion (Mark 16:16; 3 Nephi 11:21-26). He set the example Himself by being baptized to “fulfill all righteousness” (Matthew 3:15). We are baptized by someone who has God’s PRIESTHOOD authority for the remission of sins. (Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16).”
Ok, so what is the priesthood?
“Throughout time, God has given His servants, the prophets, the authority to act in His name. This authority is called the priesthood. Jesus Christ gave the priesthood to His original Twelve Apostles by ordination (see John 15:16), and they directed the work of His Church after Jesus ascended to heaven. But after the Apostles were killed, the priesthood gradually disappeared from the earth. In 1829 Joseph Smith received the priesthood authority to organize Christ’s Church from Heavenly Messengers who had held this authority anciently including the prophet John the Baptist and apostles Peter, James, and John. In 1830 the same Church of Jesus Christ that existed centuries ago was organized and restored to the earth.”

So yes, baptism by the proper priesthood authority is very important. It’s essential.
I got to see sweet Sister Stouffer this week at zone conference (she was in the MTC with Katie)

Speaking of priesthood, prophets and apostles…next week we have a missionary conference that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be at!!!! How neat?!?! What a blessing that will be. It’ll be a cool story to tell my kids one day too :p I am so lucky to be a missionary at this time.

I watched a video this week that really hit me. While watching it took me back to high school. I remember how cruel, spiteful and hateful people could be at times. Even towards me. I remembered how much I hated high school because of this, but also how those times made me a stronger person. You want to know what high school is like for teenagers nowadays?? This video nails it.
“When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm—stop it!” -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
My favorite poly woman, Sister Pulu

This crazy world we live in has enough evil and darkness in it. BE THE LIGHT. Be different. Be nice for a change and help someone! This week we had the chance to do an incredibly simple act of service for a little 80 year old woman. She asked us if we could make her bed for her and we were thrilled to! While making it we realized that this would have been such a difficult task for her frail older body. What took us 2 minutes would have taken her 25. It’s the simple things that make this world a more enjoyable place. Heavenly Father sent us here TO be happy and to help others like Christ did. Not to torment and tear people down. Decide today to only speak kindly of others and to help anyone and everyone in your path.

We find out about transfers this Saturday and I’m not looking forward to it -_- I just love Diamond Bar so much. But as always, The Lord is in charge and I guess we will find out soon enough where He needs me! I love you guys and pray that at some point or another reading my updates will help you in some way, shape or form. Keep on keepin’ on!
-hugs-
Sister Toolan
Rocking the face mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment