Monday, October 20, 2014

The Lord won’t give me, you or any one of His children something they can’t handle

It’s been a pretty good week. Pretty not so great morning/day…like, at all. But hey, ya win some ya lose some right? I don’t tell you this to be negative or to get pity. I do so simply so you can understand that I’m still human and get those ‘off days’ just like everyone else. Being a missionary does NOT make you prone to those kinds of things, sadly. Blah. Anywho, on to telling you how my week went!!!

GOOD MOMENT OF THE WEEK: (I promise I was not being serious when I said it though lol) Sister Van Heel and I were talking about the desert and Joshua Trees. I told her I didn’t understand why everyone always freaks out about them…they aren’t THAT cool.
Sis Van Heel: “It’s cuz they are super stinkin’ rare!!!”
Me: “Well that’s just AWESOME. IIIII’MM rare. People don’t act like that when they see me!!!!”
Yes. It’s safe to say we had a good chuckle after that one. Man, the things that come out of my mouth sometimes…

Some random things that made me happy this week:
-A member gave us some fresh laid eggs from their chickens! 1. DANG GOOD 2. FREE. Can’t get any better than that :)

-One of our ward mates is allowing us to borrow his GPS for a little since they are on bike, which is really nice considering we always get lost. Lol. But really.

-My $10 watch from Walmart that I got at the very beginning of my mission finally semi-broke. It made me feel like I am warring’ it out and that’s a good feeling as a missionary lol.

-I finished reading the New Testament for the 1st time in my life. Whoop whoop!!

-Some Jehovah Witnesses knocked on OUR door this weekend. They were so surprised when we opened up. Even more shocked when we were nice to them and encouraged them. It was great.

-Got to help a family in the ward set up for their little girls Frozen birthday partaaaay! It made the members really trust/love us and we had a jolly ole’ time acting like little kids. Sis. Van Heel and I kept joking around about how we were going to steal their (the Frozen girls that came) wigs and take away the show…I told her I was nervous because I’d never stolen a wig before…hahaha. It was great and made us all giddy!!!
Add FROZEN PARTY!!!! Yes, she awkwardly groped my arm…?

Dusted with Snow












































-While reading a little handout out loud during church on Sunday I came across the word “nothing” and without even thinking about it, after JUST telling Sister VanHeel I don’t have that much of an accent, I read “nothin’” loud and proud. I thought I would die. I couldn’t believe it. It just came out. #southernatheart what can I say? She gave me crap for that later. Haha.

There was one day this last week that we went and visited soooooooooo many people. We had like 7 lessons that day, which may not sound like a lot but that is a TON for me in a day. While visiting these people they would tell us of their struggles or we’d see it all over their face. I was so overwhelmed. I am the kind of person that loves anyone and everyone and because of that I want to fix everyone’s problems. And I can’t. I even asked Heavenly Father after leaving one ladys’ house why He couldn’t just give ME all of their trials/hardships. Something I’ve asked Him before while being a missionary. My whole mission there’s been times when the people around me have such horrible things going on in their life that I want to do that: take it away from them and give it to myself, but I realized later that night how selfish that was of me…that would mean ridding those people I love of a chance to fully lean on the Lord, to strengthen their relationship with Him and to gain experience for themselves. I know the Lord won’t give me, you or any one of His children something they can’t handle. That night in prayer I cried and cried. I was so overcome with how grateful I was that the Lord was allowing me to see a little of how He feels every.single.day as He watches us struggle, cry, get hurt & embarrassed. He allowed me to feel a tiny portion of Godly sorrow that He feels daily. If I love these people this much, He loves us that much more. Such an eye opener for me.

One of our investigators stopped us in the middle of our lesson and with tears in her eyes told us how “great of a team” Sister Van Heel and I are. She told us that the difference in personalities is perfect and that she couldn’t have learned from anyone else. Talk about great to hear!!! It was cool to see, as always, that Heavenly Father knows JUST what He’s doing.

It was also a miracle at the end of that lesson because we asked HER to pray and typically she gets really realllllly nervous and anxious to pray, but she did it like it was nothing and after told us she didn’t even think about it this time!!! AAH! Plus, it’s really nice because we started teaching her RIGHT when I got here, so that 1st Sunday she came to church I was able to relate to her in the sense of “it’s okay. I don’t know anyone or know where anything is either. We are in this together!” Her and I truly are getting to know everyone together and I know it helps her to know that she isn’t the only newbie. It might stink, but if it’s helpin’ her, I’ll take it!!!

Alrighty, one last thing!!! We were reading the Book of Mormon with another one of our investigators and something stood out to me. We read in 1 Nephi 1:
17 But I shall make an account of my proceedings in my days. Behold, I make an abridgment of the record of my father, upon plates which I have made with mine own hands; wherefore, after I have abridged the record of my father then will I make an account of mine own life.
In this scripture Nephi talks about making, with his own hands, the plates to record on. Nephi didn’t live in the day of texting, internet and cyber space or even pen and paper for goodness sakes!! He had to go through a LOT of trouble to MAKE and RECORD all that he did. He was out in the wildnerness makin’ dadgum brass plates out of who knows what, but he did it and he did it willingly because it had been commanded of him by God to do for our benefit. His ‘journal’ per say is so precious to me. I am thankful he was obedient. I am thankful for his example.

Welp, it looks like I am outta time for now….so until next week….BYEBYE NOOBS!!!  As my momma would say, love yall bunches all I got :)
-hugs-
Sister Toolan



Our view this morning on the hike…see the desert CAN be pretty

No comments:

Post a Comment